Dr. Donald Hoffman is a Professor of Cognitive Science at UC Irvine. His chief areas of inquiry include perception, the nature of reality and the development of a scientific model for consciousness.LISTEN | ITUNES YOUTUBE ARCHIVE STITCHERCrowd-sponsor the show and hear more musings with Dr. Hoffman on our Patreon page
In a way, Dr. Donald Hoffman is doing the grown-up, fleshed-out, fully-realized version of what I do. Instead of speculatively babbling into a microphone, though, Dr. Hoffman is using science to dive into and disrupt core assumptions about the nature of perception, consciousness and ultimately, reality.
More specifically, as a Professor of Cognitive Science at UC Irvine, Dr. Hoffman has taken on a monumental challenge- conceptualizing, developing and testing a scientific theory that places consciousness, not matter, at the center of reality. Of course a proclamation like “consciousness is at the center of reality” begs quite a few philosophically juicy questions – What is consciousness? What is reality? How and why did consciousness evolve to experience the world as it does?
Find out by joining Dr. Hoffman and I in this mind meld!
Musings in this mind meld include –
- “If I’m wrong about having experiences then I’m probably wrong about everything.”
- Is the apple really there when I’m not looking at it?
- How intuition matures into scientific models
- Local realism – if particles don’t have definite properties when they’re not observed what does that mean for larger objects?
- Why we can’t even know an objective reality
- Physicists versus Cosmologists and how they explain the universe
- What is an observer?
- Is the concept of spacetime doomed?
- Why reality is like a computer desktop
- The difference between the Simulation hypothesis and Hoffman’s Consciousness model of reality
- Will AI beat us at art?
- Information is a product of consciousness
- Could God be captured in a mathematical model?
- Are you making decisions or is freewill an illusion?